How to connect any game console controller to your PC or smartphone
All over the world, games are growing in popularity. The number of esports tournaments held around the world has already increased. Wouldn’t gaming be so much better if you could connect your gamepad to your Smartphone or PC? Well, you are about to be delighted. Today we’ll take a look at how to connect a controller to your smartphone (Android and iOS) and PC to make your Battleground 1v1 even more exciting. Let’s take a closer look at what a game controller is before exploring different types of controllers and how they are connected.
What is a game console controller?
The game controller is a gadget that we use on different devices for games. Usually all game controllers come with joysticks by which we can provide various inputs in different kinds of games. Many people prefer controllers to keyboards or touch screens because of their ergonomic design. In addition, the physical buttons provide a better experience compared to touch games. A gamepad can be easily held with two hands and offers great flexibility. These controllers come with plenty of buttons (including shoulder buttons), which quickly perform various tasks in a game.
Different types of game controllers
There are many types of game controllers available today. Some are specific to popular consoles, while others are generic capable of pairing with multiple devices. We will take a look.
1. Generic USB controllers
Generic USB controllers, as the name suggests, are the controllers that work through USB. These controllers connect to your smartphone using a USB OTG cable. That being said, you can simply plug these controllers into your PC’s USB port. Moreover, these types of controllers are very easy to find online and do not require any additional configuration. And the latency? Since these types of controllers work by cable, the next time you find yourself in a heavy situation in Call of Duty, latency shouldn’t be an issue. Additionally, these types of controllers cost comparatively less than their Bluetooth counterparts.
2. Generic Bluetooth controllers
If you’re tired of the cables lying around your house, you might like generic Bluetooth controllers. Unlike USB controllers, these work via Bluetooth. These controllers pair very easily with your smartphone / PC and work great. That being said, as controllers over Bluetooth, you might run into some latency issues. But, if you’re a casual gamer, higher latency shouldn’t affect you that much.
3. Xbox controller
Did you know that you can use your Xbox controller with your smartphone / PC? Since Xbox controllers work over Bluetooth, you can easily pair them with your other devices without additional accessories. Additionally, you can also operate the Xbox Wireless Controller using a USB OTG cable.
4. PS4 / PS5 controllers
Just like Xbox controllers, you can use a PlayStation controller with your mobile device or laptop. This saves you from having to purchase an additional controller to use with your other devices. While Sony has been using Bluetooth in its controllers for some time now, only PS4 and PS5 controllers are supported. This means that you cannot easily connect your old PS3 controller to play mobile games.
5. Nintendo Joy-Con Controller
Got a Nintendo Switch lying around? If so, you can use Nintendo’s famous joy-con controller with your Android phones. You can easily pair your controller via Bluetooth. The best part is that you can also pair a single joy-con together if you want.
Now that we have looked at the different types of controllers (including console controllers), let’s take a closer look at how you can connect them to your smartphone / PC.
1. Controller connection (wired connection)
- Well, connecting a wired controller is a very straightforward process. Just make sure you have an OTG cable to connect to your smartphone.
- Now just connect one end of the USB cable to the controller and the other end to your smartphone using the OTG cable. To connect to a PC, simply plug the other end into your PC’s USB port.
- Boom, you have successfully connected your controller to your smartphone / PC. That being said, many smartphones have an option in the settings to enable the USB OTG option. Just make sure this option is enabled, otherwise the controller will not work.
2. Connection of generic Bluetooth controller
- Go to the Bluetooth settings on your smartphone / PC and activate the discoverable feature.
- After enabling discoverable, turn on your game controller and look for the pairing button. Different controllers have this button placed differently.
- Now go back to bluetooth settings and find your game controller.
- Once you see your controller under the scanned devices, just tap on it and you have now successfully connected your generic bluetooth controller to your smartphone / PC.
3. Connecting the Xbox controller
- First, we need to turn off our Xbox console so that we can put the controller into bluetooth pairing mode.
- After that, turn on your controller using the Xbox button.
- Once the controller is on, press and hold the pairing button for 3 seconds.
- Now go to bluetooth settings and turn discovery on.
- In a few seconds, you’ll see your Xbox controller listed there. Just tap on it and your Xbox controller will pair with your smartphone / PC.
4. Connecting the PS4 / PS5 controller
Connecting your DualShock 4 or DualShock 5 controller is a very simple process. That being said, the controller connection process remains the same for the PS4 and PS5. Let’s see how you can do it.
- Turn off your PlayStation console so that the DualShock controller is disconnected from this device.
- Now hold the PlayStation and Share buttons together. Hold these buttons down until the LED starts flashing on the controller.
- Once the LED flashes, go to the Bluetooth settings of your Smartphone and turn on the b discovery,
- You will now see your PlayStation controller listed there. Just tap on it to connect the controller to your smartphone.
5. Connecting the Nintendo Switch Joy-Con Controller
- Disconnect the joy-con controller from the Nintendo Switch.
- Now press and hold the sync button on the joy-con controller
- Access the smartphone settings and activate the device’s Bluetooth.
- Under the scanned devices you will find the controller listed. Now you can enjoy the Joy-con controller.
Frequently Asked Questions
Now let’s take a look at some of the frequently asked questions people have about using console controllers with mobile devices or PCs.
1.Why should I use a gamepad?
Game controllers provide more flexibility compared to traditional gaming methods. Many games are configured to work well with game controllers and provide a better experience. Additionally, haptic feedback on many controllers improves the gaming experience.
2. Will my game account be banned if I use a controller?
No, your account (be it PUBG or BGMI, or COD) will not be banned using a controller until you use additional mods.
3. Why doesn’t my Xbox controller connect to my PC via USB?
If you’re having trouble connecting an Xbox One controller via USB, try unplugging all other peripherals before plugging in the controller. If that still doesn’t work, make sure the power cable is plugged into the correct port. Also make sure that the controller is not turned off by accident.